WHY ISN’T LIFE FAIR?
Pastor Justin Mosher
July 18, 2021
Ecclesiastes 4:1 (NIV) “Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed-- and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors-- and they have no comforter.”
I. THE REALITY: LIFE IS UNFAIR!
1. CRIMINALS GO ___________________ “When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong.” 8:11 (NIV)
2. THE OPPRESSED ARE _________________ “I saw the tears of the oppressed— and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors.” 4:1 (NIV)
3. POLITICIANS ARE _____________________ “If you see the poor oppressed in a district, and justice and rights denied, do not be surprised at such things; for one official is eyed by a higher one, and over them both are others higher still.” 5:8 (NIV) “There is an evil I have seen under the sun, like an error which goes forth from the ruler— folly is set in many exalted places while rich men sit in humble places.” 10:5-6 (NIV)
4. GOOD PEOPLE ARE _________________________ “There is something else meaningless that occurs on earth: the righteous who get what the wicked deserve, and the wicked who get what the righteous deserve. This too, I say, is meaningless.” 8:14 (NIV)
5. CAPABLE PEOPLE ARE _______________________ “I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.” 9:11 (NIV)
II. THE REASON: WHY DOES GOD LET IT HAPPEN?
1. BECAUSE HE GIVES US THE _______________ TO CHOOSE “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witness against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that your children can live.” Deuteronomy 30:19 (NIV)
2. BECAUSE ________________________ IS COMING “I said to myself, “God will bring into judgment both the righteous and the wicked, for there will be a time for every activity, a time to judge every deed.” Ecclesiastes 3:17 (NIV)
3. TO SHOW US WE NEED A ________________ “Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.” Ecclesiastes 7:20 (NIV) “I also said to myself, ‘As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals.’” Ecclesiastes 3:18 (NIV)
4. BECAUSE PAIN CAN DEVELOP __________________ “…perseverance, character; and character, hope.…” Romans 5:4 (NIV)
III. MY RESPONSE: HOW SHOULD I REACT?
1. ___________________ THAT LIFE IS UNFAIR! “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NIV)
2. ______ THE _______________ THING ANYWAY! “Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.” Isaiah 1:17 (NIV)
3. _______________ FOR GOD’S REWARD! “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)